Monday, April 26, 2010

Avatar Taking Down More Records With Its DVD Release



Avatar broke the record for the most gross ($2.7 billion Global) in film history when it took down James Cameron's other monstrous movie, Titanic. This past Thursday when Avatar hit the shelfs on Blu Ray and DVD it was no surprise that it would sell and it would sell big. I dont think anyone expected it to sell as big as it did though. It took Avatar four days to sell 2.7 million copies breaking the record held by the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight sold 2.5 million Blu Ray copies since it release and that was 16 months ago. Avatar also sold 4 million copies in standard DVD. What I find sad about this is that this version that was released on Thursday is just the film, there is no extras on board the disc. Also the technology that really made Avatar special is not featured on this film because that technology is not ready yet for Blu Ray. It is said that Avatar will be released in a few months with that technology, extras and over 40 additional minuets in the film. What I dont understand is why would someone go out and buy a copy of this film to probably only buy the better version when it is released down the road. This is a great marketing idea and will definitely help to bring in much more money making Avatar possibly the largest movie to ever be release. Its difficult to see how any movie ever could touch the success that Avatar has had.

5 comments:

The Arbitrary Nerd said...

Well, I don't ever buy movies for extra content, I always buy the cheapest. I feel that is more why they offer different versions--I would never spend another $30 on a movie I saw in theaters. To be honest, I probably won't buy this movie because I saw it twice and six hours of Avatar is good enough for me, no matter how awesome it was.

Ginaya Greene said...

There are a lot of movies whose success has overwhelmed producers. I think we'll have to wait sometime before a movie out dues Avatars success. I am curious if the next big movie will be in 3D. I think 3D movies are the next big thing and as you can already see many movies in 3D are pretty successful. I enjoy these movies myself just because I feel like I am going for the experience, not so much for the story of the movie. Avatar was a good movie nonetheless, but I feel like its plot has been done so many times and in so many different ways. I am waiting for a story that has not been done before and is visually entertaining as well as emotionally. I'll guess this movie will be in 2012 based on some historical event.

Ginaya Greene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JonnyMaggs24 said...

I think the reason this "plan" that Avatar is doing on selling different versions is because of the impatience of people in general. It is because the fact that people would rather buy the version that has no extras and see the movie as quickly as possible, and then re-buy it later makes what Avatar is doing so successful. It is actual quite genius how they can manipulate people so easily and for such a profit.

Aeolus said...

Is it bad that I haven't seen Avatar yet? I know I know let me just crawl back into the cave where I came from, but seriously, what's the big deal? I also agree with what Ginaya is saying, I think all big budget movies will now be in 3d, they finally have the technology to do it right!